October 31, 2015

7 Things Blogging Has Taught Me | Guest Post

Holla favorite people!! The beautiful Ashley has guest posted for me!! She is adorable. I totally love everything she says. EVERYONE GO FOLLOW HER BLOG. (Side note: I just accidentally spelled "follow" as "fallow". #thestruggleisreal)

Hello everybody! My name is Ashley and I blog over at Thrifty Toppings. I’m super duper excited to be guest posting on Sophia’s blog today- Someplace in the Midst is one of my favorite blogs and Sophia is one of the sweetest people ever. Thanks, dear, for letting me post today!

7 Things Blogging Has Taught Me 2.jpg

I’ve been blogging for about a little over a year now (my blogiversary was in September!), and it seems like I’ve been blogging for longer than that and yet simultaneously that it hasn’t been quite that long.  Lately I’ve been thinking about all the things that I’ve learned from my year of blogging. I’ve come a long way! I decided to share some of the things I’ve learned and hopefully you can learn something by reading this (see number 7)!

1.  It’s okay if not everything is perfect right away.
When I first started my blog a little over a year ago, I thought it was going to be easy to have a beautiful design, get a bunch of followers, and create new content consistently. Turns out, I was wrong! It takes a lot of time and commitment to make your blog exactly how you want it, and it’s something that you have to really, really work for. There’s a ton to learn about blogging, and if you’re still learning how to do all of it, that’s okay.  That doesn’t mean you can’t still be proud of your blog. If you compare your blog to other people's professional blogs, it will make you feel discouraged which I believe will actually slow your progress down. You should never compare yourself to anything, whether it’s comparing yourself to someone else or your blog to someone else’s.

2. Always properly credit your photos.
I’ve seen a lot of people use Pinterest as a source. Pinterest doesn’t count as a source. Someone worked hard on what you’re sharing and they should be properly credited. Seeing people fail to properly source things made me want to do better. It takes a little more time but it’s always a good idea to try and find the original source.

3. Write down everything.
When I was a kid, I used to like writing stories and books. Whenever I got an idea for one of my stories, I would try to write it down right away or else I knew I’d forget. I don’t really write stories so much anymore, but the idea of writing down everything, no matter how small, has still stayed with me (especially because I am so crazy forgetful!).

4. Keep all of your equipment in one place where you can find it.
At some point in your blogging journey, you are going to lose something important, like a charging cord. I have done this more than once. Create a designated place for all of your important equipment that you need for blogging. You can get cute baskets that go with your room’s color scheme even!

5. You should be happy with the body that you have.
Because I’m a fashion blogger, you’d probably guess that I was confident and comfortable with my body when I first started blogging + posting pictures of myself.  However, that’s totally not true. I was very insecure. Then, sometime over the course of last year, I became more confident with who I am. It wasn’t some major revelation like, ‘oh, maybe I AM beautiful.’ I still don’t really think I’m beautiful by the world’s standards. It was more like I came to realize that it’s okay not to fit the world’s molds of beauty- good, even! I started even being a little glad that I didn’t look perfect; perfect to me now kind of means uninteresting. I also realized that if I like who I am and I’m confident in my own body, other people would see that and respect that. There’s something about confidence that can get you far in the world. And don’t get me wrong, I still have bouts of insecurity. All the time. But I’m a lot wiser than I was last year when it comes to beauty and confidence.

6. See beauty in everything.
I’m always looking for that perfect Instagram shot or photo shoot location. It’s helped me to learn to see beautiful things I may have just passed by before. Take something like architecture for example: before I would only see a building. Now I see art.! Life is so short, I think it’s important to see the beauty that is in everything and every situation!

7. Learn from other people.
Reading good blogs and watching good YouTube videos always inspires me to do better or try something new. All of those people have something that I can learn, even if it’s something I can learn not to do so I don’t have to learn the hard way. ;) It’s good to try new things and a great way to learn is from other people!

Thanks again, Soph, for letting me guest post. What have you guys learned from blogging? Let me know in the comments below or go to my blog Thrifty Toppings and we’ll chat over there!

-Ashley

1 comment :

  1. 2 and 5 are the biggest, best points. Outfit posts have really help me accept and even appreciate my body just the way it is. And yeah.... Pinterest is not a source.

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete