September 29, 2015

How to Make a "Grab My Button" Widget

So I made the most awesome new blogger button. You can see it in my sidebar, or see it live on the darling summerof1999.blogspot.com. Anyway, I thought I would share with you today how to get a "grab my button" plugin for your blog. I think this is a great way to promote your blog, and it makes it easy for other bloggers to find your button code and grab it.  Also, if you would like to swap buttons with me, contact me here!

How to Make a "Grab My Button" Widget
1. Go to the website mycoolrealm.com/sandbox/gbgen

2. The first 2 steps are pretty easy, enter your blog title and website.


3. Your button url is a little trickier, what you'll need to do is upload your button to Picasa Web Albums, Flikr, Photo Bucket, or something similar.

I used Picasa Web Albums because it connects to your google account and is super simple. Once you upload your image, right click over the image and choose "copy image url". Then paste it into the burron generator.

4. Choose your colors/code box options. once you do, hit preview.
5. Paste your html code into your blogger layout as a html gadget. Watch this video, starting at 5:15, to see what I mean if you're confused. Save your design, and you are done! 



Hopefully this is helpful!! LMK if it works/what you think. :)
xoxo
Sophia
ps~I'm linked up here

14 comments :

  1. I use to have a button but when I changed my blog design the way I made my button didn't work. Hopefully this will! You're blog button is looking great. Do you think if I get my button back up we could partner again?
    -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Let's partner! I'll send you an email. :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this is a great tutorial!! Thank you!!
    xoxo
    Grace Anne // http://totallygraced.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this! I've been looking for a tutorial on how to do one of those for forever :)

    ~Noor
    a little bit of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have a button on my blog, but then I changed my design and lost it. I never got around to making another one. Maybe I should.
    I love your button! It's really clean and minimalist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just FYI, 'someplace' is missing the first 'e'... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks for letting me know!!

      Delete
  6. This tutorial is super helpful- I got directed to your blog when I asked another blogger about buttons. I love it! Anyways, I had a question because I made a button but part of it gets cut off when I upload it onto that website that generates the button. Do you have any ideas for the specific dimensions of the button? Thanks for this tutorial!!
    -Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! My blog button is 200x200 pixels- I used the website canva to resize it to the right size. :) Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete
  7. Hey Sophia-
    I finally got my button up and running! Yay! Thank you so much for helping me out- this tutorial was tremendously helpful. I really appreciate you contacting me on my blog too- you are an awesome person. Now that I have my button, want to swap? I'm going to put your button on my blog if that's ok with you. Also, I tried to follow your blog but blogger seems to be having a difficulty adding followers- I will follow you as soon as it lets me. Thanks again!
    -Vivian
    http://moonsworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's swap buttons! I will put your button on my blog. :)

      Delete