September 1, 2015

8 Ways to Reduce Endeavor Induced Stress

Guys. I get it. Stress/anxiety is a part of every life. I may have not believed this before high school/college. But guys. It's true. So true. For me, some of the most stressful situations are competitions, standarized tests, and new and unfamiliar environments, such as a new school. However, there are effective ways for dealing with this. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I've used these tips and personally vouch for them.
8 Ways to Reduce Endeavor Induced Anxiety

1. Pick out your outfit the night before.
Do it. I always lay my clothes on my chair the day before. In the morning you will have ENOUGH STRESS and you don't need to have any more than necessary. Also, this helps eliminate problems like your only good nylons are ripped or your favorite shirt is in the wash.

2. Know everything you possibly can.
Know where to park. print out maps. print out admissions slips/tickets. PRINT IT OUT WHATEVER IT IS. Because you don't want the possibility of your phone running out of battery/no reception or whatever.

3. Make notes to yourself.
For example, I sometimes will put post it notes all over my room saying things like ACT TICKET or REMEMBER PIANO MUSIC BOOKS. It will give you a peace of mind so you can sleep the night before with out worrying that you'll forget something important.

4. Exercise hard.
Unless it's something at like 4 in the morning, get up and exercise before hand. I like to run 2 miles and that gets rid of a lot of nervous energy and releases happy endorphins. Maybe you like zumba. Maybe you like speed walking. Maybe you like weight lifting. Whatever it is, do it before your big event.

5. Think in the moment.
You can't change the past. You can't change the future (in the sense that the future is not here yet and therefore you don't have any control over it). All you have is this moment. Stressing over what is yet to come will only increase your anxiety. How I do this is usually with one of my favorite TV shows, a microwave brownie, and lots of laundry. This is my chill. I love to fold laundry (one of my deepest secrets, ya'all.) and make order out of the mess, and watching a show forces me to focus on the moment, and the brownie helps me enjoy it. Cheers all around.

6. It's OKAY to fail.
I can't really say anything about this except it won't be the end of the world if you don't make the finals or you don't get your goal score. Whatever. It might take you a while to come to grips with this, maybe a few weeks or months. It will come, and you'll grow and be a better person because of it.

7. Try a Power Pose.
Have I ever told you how much I love TED talks? I can get sucked in and watch them for hours. This TED talk was assigned by my speech teacher and can apply to any situation, I believe: The Power of Body Language.

8. Embrace Stress.
Again, love those TED talks. This one is particularly eye opening. I love it: How to Make Stress Your Friend.

Anywhoo...  let me know if you have anything that helps you chill/ reduces anxiety.

Sophia

8 comments :

  1. Thank you for these tips! Stress is something I deal with a lot and these tips really help :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're so welcome! I'm glad they're helpful. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for these tips! I get stressed really easily, unfortunately.

    ~Noor
    a little bit of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you get stressed easily! If you haven't i would highly recommend watching the ted talk mentioned in #8 of the tips.

      Delete
  3. When I'm rally stressed out about something I have to do, I like to give myself tiny instructions in my head, like:

    okay, now as soon as you've opened your notebook, you're going to find some pens. Then you're going to sit down at your desk . . . . . etc. etc.

    It really calms me down.

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I deal with so much stress and even though I am just the sophomore, I can feel the pressure of college on my shoulders. I like the first tip, but I actually like to change it from just preparing clothes but preparing everything the night before-- that way, I can be ready to leave in fifteen minutes, tops. Love the tips!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this, dear. ♥ It's going to come in so handy when I start to get a lot of schoolwork this year.
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, these things are great! I wholeheartedly support being prepared and ready for any big day ahead (although I usually exercise afterwards because I prefer to sleep later). I also like to put whatever events I'm stressing over into God's hand and into an eternal perspective, knowing that my identity won't change from the results of the exciting day.

    Hannah ~Grace in Everything~

    ReplyDelete