August 1, 2015

Why You Should Respond to Every Comment

Comments are like my favorite thing ever.
I don't actually like reading comments on other social media (youtube or instagram or whatever) because they are often negative and judgmental, but you guys are so nice and always leave lovely or sweetly constructive comments.

Anyway, I respond to every comment that I receive on my blog. Some people may see it as annoying, but I don't. Here's why.
Why You Should Respond to Every Comment on Your Blog

1. It encourages readers to ask questions.
When I read other blogs, I often have a question about the clothing the blogger is wearing in the pictures, or about her lipstick, or camera, etc. When I see a whole list of comments without responses, I get disappointed that I won't (most likely) get my question answered. At least not here. That saddens me. I want my readers to feel like they can ask questions, and they'll get answers right here- on the blog post they have the question about.

2. It doesn't annoy me. (as a reader)
I could see how it could be, but when I see another blogger responding to all her comments, I like it. You get a better feeling of knowing the blogger by seeing how she responds to comments.

3. Your readers will feel appreciated.
I like it as the commenter. Even if the blogger just says thank you for reading, it's nice to feel appreciated.  Obviously, I don't go back to EVERY blog post I commented on, but when I do, I enjoy reading the blogger's reply. I want to do the same for my readers.

4. It doesn't hurt me as a blogger.
It takes just a few minutes of my time. What do I really have to lose from doing it? Unless there are people out there who get really annoyed when people say thank you. Or answer their questions. Which would be extremely weird.

5. It shows my readers that I actually READ their comments.
 It shows them that I actually LIKE IT WHEN THEY COMMENT. And hopefully it'll show them that I appreciate them. And hopefully they'll come back and comment again. The last thing I want my lovely readers thinking is that I'm just ignoring them. :)

For further reading, I recommend these articles: (I do not promote everything all these blogs stand for, but I do recommend reading these articles in particular)
Should You Respond to Every Comment
5 Reasons Why You Should Respond to Every Comment

What do you guys think of replying back to comments on your blog? Annoying? Time consuming? Awesome?

Let me know,
Sophia

15 comments :

  1. Will you ever post any of your piano playing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, maybe someday... I've never really thought about it. :)

      Delete
  2. Completely agree! I love comments so much and I respond to every single one even if it's just a "thanks for reading!" If someone can take the time to comment on my post, I will certainly take the time to respond! I genuinely love the interaction of comments because my readers are always telling me something new and creating great discussion about the post topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! totally agree! not only does it make great discussion, but you also just get to build a relationship with readers.

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with everything you said! Plus, commenting also draws people back to visit your blog some more-- that's something that I learned after a year of not replying to comments. *sigh*

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think comments are a wonderful way to let your readers know that you want to hear what they have to say. If a reader of mine can take the time to comment something nice or even their own opinions, I'm surely going to let them know their voice has been heard. ;)
      ~ Sanjana
      peridotcove.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Yes! nice to know that other bloggers feel the same way I do about commenting. :)

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of responding to comments, if only because the commenters say some really interesting stuff and you can't help but share your opinion on their opinion of your work/thoughts. I guess that it's all just basically opinion sharing, and that's great.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I basically love this comment. Sharing opinions in the nice and reasonable way bloggers do in comments in the best. And I apologize if that last sentence was a hot grammatical mess.

      Delete
  6. This is so true! If they have time to comment, then you have time to answer it! Great post!

    maddysdigitaldiary.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely agree with everything you've said. A little bit of your time will go a long way into making readers feel more welcome, right? I saw Curtis' comment, do you play the piano? It would be awesome to see another piano player play, but of course that's up to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do play the piano. :) I agree that it's awesome to see/hear other pianists play, but I'm not sure if I will do it. Maybe someday, though. :)

      Delete