July 28, 2015

Chocolate Cinnamon Power Bites

So, if you read my last post, you know I've been running and trying to get into a healthier lifestyle. This isn't to lose weight or anything, just because I want to and such. Here's a lovely recipe for delicious awesomness that has lots of great nutritiousness packed into it. The previous sentence was a mess. 

And just so you know, this recipe is legit. The other day, I was exhausted after dinner, but I had errands I needed to run that night, so I ate one of these for dessert, and I seriously felt so much better. Power! Energy!


And if you're wondering if kids would like these, we had some friends over while I was photographing these, and their littlest girl is P I C K Y. She doesn't like meat, vegetables, or basically anything that could be called "protein". She was watching me photograph these, and I asked if she wanted one. She said no. I asked her again a few minutes later. She said yes. She ate the teeniest possible bite, and then after chewing for an exceptionally long time. she gobbled the whole thing down.


 Then she took them down to the kids in the basement to see if they wanted any, and they all tried one and like it. SCORE.
Chocolate Cinnamon Power Bites
Chocolate Cinnamon Power Bites
(Recipe adapted from this video here. It helps to watch the video!)
- 1 c oatmeal
- 31/2 c finely chopped walnuts (or nuts of your choice- i processed mine to a fine powder in a food processor)
- 1/2 c peanut butter
- 1/4-1/3 c honey (you can adjust to make sure balls stick together)
- 1/2 c ground flaxseed (aka flaxseed meal- I had whole flaxseed that I also processed in the food processor)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 Tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
- 1/3 c chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. Process oats in food processor (optional). Combine all ingredients in mixer. Mix until incorporated.

2. Roll into bite-sized balls. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

5 comments :

  1. Oh man, I wonder if my Ninja blender could power these babies out. I don't have a food processor but I might try a few alternative methods. These look amazing and, most importantly, HEALTHY.

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made these many times without a food processor. Chop up the oatmeal and mix everything in a bowl!

      Delete
    2. Yep, I'm sure they would work w/o a food processor. I often use a kitchen aid or hand mixer for the mixing part- I've never tried chopping the oatmeal by hand, but I'm sure it would be fine. :)

      Delete
  2. Chocolate cinnamon, you say? How interesting!! I've made energy bites very similar to these but I'll definitely have to try the cinnamon. Gotta love that spice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chocolate and cinnamon are delicious together! let me know if you try it. :)

      Delete