July 6, 2015

5 Books to Finish This Summer

For obvious reasons, I love to read. I haven't been reading a ton this summer (other than academic stuff) but I have managed to get a few books in, and have a few recommendations if you're looking for something to read this summer. I've personally read all these books, and everything here is my own opinion. And just a warning: my reading tastes-similar to my music tastes- have absolutely no rhyme or reason. Carry on.

5 Books to Finish this Summer


The Secret of Pembrooke Park- Julie Klassen
Mystery! Romance! History! Hidden Treasure! Fights for riches! Search for the long lost heir! For all the cliches, I couldn't put this book down. With a nod to Jane Austen, this book captures history in a charming way. This book is about a young woman moves into an old castle and all sorts of problems arise from the woodwork. Sort of spoiler alert: She doesn't marry the dude I originally wanted her to marry. Alas.

Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold- Iain Reading
I had a lot of fun reading this one. I received this book for the purpose of reviewing and sharing it on my blog. Once I got past the fact that I "had" to read it, I actually truly enjoyed it. It was sweet, it was funny, it was adventurous. I wish I had half of Kitty's bravery (sometimes known as stupidity) and sass. Basically it's about a teen girl decides to spend her summer flying her own plane tracking whales in Alaska, but she gets caught in the midst of a stint to steal gold and she has to figure out all the crazy stuff. It was a good book.

Do Hard Things- Alex and Brett Harris
This book definitely challenged me. Way more than I wanted to. It's all about raising up and fighting against the low expectations that teens have. It's a challenge to do more with your teenage years than only what is necessary. A business idea I came up with stemmed out of reading this book... I'll be sharing more soon....

Shadows of Lancaster County- Mindy Starns Clark
I don't know if you know, but I have an obsession with the TV series NCIS. I love the team dynamics, the mystery, the crime scenes... This book was surprisingly suspenseful, which I don't usually expect from Amish related fiction. However, a lot of the book seemed like it came from an NCIS episode, or whatever other cop/crime/law show you like.  I couldn't put this book down, with it's tangled plot that involved DNA, Amish people, crime scenes, royalty, rubies and forgiveness. Confused yet?

Story Starters- Karen Andreola
 I've had formal training for how to write in a very structured and organized manner, but this book is all about throwing structure out the window and ushering in as much creativity as possible. What this book does is it gives the first part of a story and then you have to finish it. My mom makes us stand in front of everyone and read our stories to each other. What happens when you do this is you let your creative juices out and just write for the pleasure of it. It's great fun.

Why don't you guys let me know what you've been reading in the comments below? I'm always looking for more books!

Until next time,
Sophia

4 comments :

  1. For sure going to read one of these books! Have been looking for a GOOD summer read.
    Vanessa
    simplyperfectme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know if you have any good reading suggestions, too. I'm always looking for more books!

      Delete
  2. :) Great! I will definitely check these out...
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete