April 15, 2015

Finding Your Blog's Purpose

Last week I posted a post entitled Finding My Blog's Purpose. I hope you'll check it out, because today's post is pretty much a "part two" of that post.

Finding your blog's purpose is important because it gives you more power as a blogger. Your readers will know what to expect and you have a framework for your blog. It's not limiting, because I seem to have more ideas because the only thing I have to ask myself when writing blog posts is "does this post fit my blog's purpose?" It just seems much easier to write posts now. 

someplace in the midst
Here's the thing, though.
There is no step-by-step way to find your purpose. These are just more general tips. These aren't in order of significance, and you might find that some things work and some things just don't for you. But enough of my rambling. Here you go:

Oh wait. One more thing. This post is geared towards bloggers who've already started posting. Some of the tips may apply to bloggers who are just getting off the ground or who are thinking about starting to blog, but most of it is for the already-blogging people. Okay, now I'm REALLY going to start giving you tips.

 ~Look for repeating labels. Perhaps you haven't physically labeled any of your content, but go through your posts and mentally label them. Does this post fit under the fashion category? Does that post fit under the food category. See which labels keep popping up.

~Write down what your blog does not cover. Sometimes this is the easiest place to start. By eliminating what your blog does not cover, you can see what your blog does.

~Get your readers' help. Ask your readers (either through a survey or in the comments) what they like about your blog, what they are looking for, etc. This can be really eye opening.

~When you can see what your blog covers and what seems to be the most important things that you write about, you can start use some adjectives to describe your blogs content. See if you can come up with 3-5 words that describe your blog's content. For example, you might say that your blog's content is funny, informative, artsy, and cute.

~With the 3-5 words you just found, play around and see if you can make a sentence. For example, you might say, you might say (using the words from the tip above)
my blog tells people about artsy and cute information in a funny way," or "my blog informs people of funny art in a cute way." Okay. Those didn't really make sence, but whatevs. It's a good place to start.

~Still stuck?? Try useing this template for a purpose: "my blog <insert verb> in a <adjective> way by..."For example, "my blog inspires people in a funky way by sharing quirky diys," or "my blog encourages people in a unique way by sharing silly life stories and showing that we're all in this together."

~All out of ideas? Try asking yourself some questions:
What does my blog do?
Who is my audience?
What do I want to write about?
etc etc etc etc etc

~BE PATIENT. Maybe you haven't blogged long enough to see what you really want to do with your blog and where you really want to go with it. It took me a couple of months to figure this stuff out. Just go with the flow and see where it takes you!

That's it!! Let me know if these tips are helpful or not.... And let me know if you have any more tips.
And here's a really random question: what do you like to put on your scrambled eggs/omelets? I need more ideas!!

Sophia


12 comments :

  1. Hi there! This post and your previous one helped me a lot in finding my blog's purpose. I've mentioned you in my recent post (soon to be published) which is about my blog's purpose, I hope you don't mind! Thanks for the tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! I'm so glad this post helped you. Feel free to mention and share to your heart's content!! Leave me a link here in the comments and I'll check it out. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  2. This is actually really helpful! I'm gonna try some of these methods :)

    O | Life as a Young Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's helpful! Yes, please try the methods and let me know if any of them work better than others. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  3. This is something I've been thinking about, and I'm glad to hear your thoughts! I go under the "new blogger" category, but I don't think that it's too early to be thinking about this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading! It's never too soon to start thinking about these things, you're already one step ahead of me than when I was just starting out if you're already thinking about it. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for this! Last night I was writing up a draft for a new about me page that I will be posting some time next month and I'd taken the time to reevaluate and consider what my blog is about thanks to the adjectives trick. :)

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad it's helpful!! leave me the link for your page once you publish it and I'll be sure to check it out. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  5. Great post! Defining your identity can be challenging, but this is definitely a good place to start.

    http://howtomakehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  6. This is super awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Sophia. Mine changed as the years went by i started with something and as life changed and readers changed so did my blog. I guess i went with your go with the flow option :) Thanks for sharing with us for The Sunday Brunch Magazine , Bel & Eliza xx

    ReplyDelete