April 10, 2015

Finding My Blog's Purpose

So I've been struggling with my lifestyle blogging because it's so seriously broad and random.
Which is rather ironic since I'm a really broad and random person.

However.......
I feel like my blogging needs purpose. Like my posts are all over the place and people have no idea what they are getting into when they visit my blog. Like people will get whiplash from all the incredibly different subjects I post on.

someplace in the midst


I've been thinking about my blogs purpose for over a month, and now I've now filtered my blog's purpose down to one sentence:

Someplace in the Midst is a place in the midst of life's craziness and nastiness where people become inspired to create beautiful things.

Basically, that's what my blog is here for. I post diys and decorating stuff and food and bloggy stuff for the purpose of inspiring my readers to create beautiful things: be it food, blogs, crafts, and basically creating a beautiful life.

Writing that purpose down and just having it in my mind has been more freeing than limiting.  Why? Because I'm not afraid to post "random things" now because it all fits under a bigger umbrella of purpose. I feel like I have more ideas for posts now, and if a post seems a little off, I can change it to fit under my purpose, and therefore make it better.

So from now on out my blog's focus will be on:
  • DIYs / Free printables
  • Decorating ideas
  • Recipes/Food
  • Blogging ideas/tips
  • My Life
If you can't figure out how "my life" fits under my blogging purpose, I just feel it does because when I do just blog about my life, it will be about how someone in my life or I have created something beautiful. I also may do an occasional book list or academic-y thing because I think that is also about creating something beautiful- a beautiful mind.

I've also decided I'm not going to do some things on my blog. I feel like if I don't limit it, I can twist and stretch my blog's purpose for whatever reason. I don't want to do that because that would basically defeat the purpose of the purpose. Wow, that was a really bad use of the same word with different meanings. 
So anyhow, here's what's not going to be on my blog:
  • Fashion/Beauty (this is subject to change, but right now I don't really have a desire to do stuff with these subjects)
  • Favorites (for example: 10 of my favorite youtube vloggers [I know, I know, I did this post already. But no more like it. :)])
  • Reasons Why (for example: 10 reasons why you should have a blog)
  • Book/Movie/TV show reviews. This is a little tricky, because I may include stuff like "5 books to read this summer" (this is actually a post in the making right now) because I feel like that is about creating a beautiful mind, but not reviews purely for the sake of reviewing them. And who wants to write "book reports" anyways?! Product promotions are totally different if they can fit into the above mentioned categories I blog about- for example, yarn or fabric or a blogging template. I'm sure I could find a way to morph it into a post to fit my purpose (you can visit my partner page here to find out more about me promoting your stuff)
 So yeah, that's about where I am with my blogging purpose. it's not a perfect place to be, but I'm working on it. Be on the lookout for an upcoming post on how to find YOUR blog's purpose, and I'll provide more information there.

But I want to know, does your blog have a purpose? Or do you think a purpose is unnecessary? What do you think I should change about my purpose? I'd really like to know, so let me know in the comments below.

xo,
Sophia

I'm linked up here

14 comments :

  1. Nice :) I think your blog will be very entertaining to read, I'll be sure to keep up.
    You've inspired me to focus on my blog direction, I set up a survey and everything. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! a survey is a great idea to focus your blog's purpose.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I think that purpose is a great channel to get the feel of any blog, and I've been thinking about it lately as well. From the get-go, my blog's purpose has been to help people see God's grace and beauty in the ordinary things of life and the big parts of life, and as I go I'm learning to apply that purpose to my blog, but as I recently started, I'm still exploring new things. But great post and I look forward to reading the next one about a blog's purpose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great purpose, hannah! Thanks for reading. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  3. I've had to set up several blog surveys to find out my blog's purpose, but I've realized that my blog is not just a way to project my voice into the 7.2+ billion people filled world, but since my blog has grown, it's also been a way for others to look up at me, I guess. I love how you've found your blog's identity; some days, I am unsure of where I am going.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a thoughtful comment! I hope you find your blog's purpose. :)

      Delete
  4. Or you could be like me. I am not committing myself to anything in particular for my blog. I kind of see my blog as a way to record my life and passions as they come and go, whichever way my fickle mind directs me. I do look forward to reading more of your posts though <3

    xx http://www.countingmississippis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, that's fine too. :) I think freedom is great, and I also think that having a purpose to my blog hasn't limited me, it's merely focused me in the right direction.
      Sophia

      Delete
  5. Loved this post, I have blogged for 2 years without a purpose and recently after a holiday and time away I've finally realised what I really want to do now. I'm hoping to just concentrate on my 'purpose' now and so far I'm finding it so much more enjoyable as it's just 'me' and nothing else!

    Lyndsay | Fizzy Peaches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! I love it! Thanks for reading. :)
      sophia

      Delete
  6. I'm struggling with this right now too! I have no idea where to go with my blog. The posts I was previously writing have nothing on the post I wrote yesterday which was shared on Facebook 173 times and counting! The last few posts I wrote previous to that were lucky to get a few comments! Now I don't know where to go with it. There is something to be said for writing from the heart.

    Haidee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm so happy with your success in you last post. Finding your blog's purpose/mission can be difficult, but it's also very rewarding. Thanks for reading!
      Sophia

      Delete