February 13, 2015

Operation Free Blog Design: Profile

I'm continuing my Operation Free Blog Design series.. And today is all about profiles.




So I'm wasn't really sure what to call this thing, but it's this thing that you see on the sidebar of my blog:



I really love seeing these mini profiles on blogs for a few reasons:
1. I know what the blogger looks like
2. The (usually) give me a hint as to what the blog is all about.
3. It's nice to have a little "welcoming" into the blog. 

As you can see from mine, there are two basic parts: The picture (of me) and a little note.

The picture is circular, because I've seen a lot of bloggers with circular pictures and I thought it looked chic. You can use whatever photo editing tool you want to make a picture circular, but here are a few links:
http://diydoyenne.com/how-to-make-a-circle-picture/ {On picmonkey}
http://www.thegunnysack.com/2013/05/how-to-crop-circles.html {On pixlr}
http://www165.lunapic.com/editor/?action=crop {On LunaPic}

I did mine black and white because it matched best with my blog design, but you could add some funky filters or whatever floats your boat.

Okay, now for what to say. Hmm.... Well, basically, you want people to know your name (or your screen name) a teeny tiny bit about you, and what your blog is about. You can include a link to your more detailed "about me" page. (About me pages are another story for another day.)

How to install your cute little profile... This is where it gets a little messy.
I used blogger and created a new post. I uploaded my rounded picture and wrote a cute little profile.
Here's what it looked like:




Then I switched to html and here's what I got: (The html switch is in the top left corner)



Then I copied the code and pasted it into the layout by adding a gadget through html.
That's it! If that was confusing, this video does basically the same thing I did. Just start the video at 5:09.


I apologize if this tutorial seems all over the place... It's been a long week :)
I hope that you have a fabulous weekend! 
I love looking at blogs, so be sure to leave your blog link in the comments so that I can check it out. I'd also love to know if you have any tips for blog profiles, or if you think I should make any changes to this tutorial! What do you guys think of circular pictures? Are they awesome or weird?

Sophia
ps. I'm linked up here and here

21 comments :

  1. This is all well and good, but these tips can ONLY be applied if you have this particular Template...It would be nice if you could give some tips for those of us who DON'T have this Template.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, these are some great tips. I have decided to not reveal my face online yet, and so I just made a heart for my "about". It's not the best, but hopefully it lets everyone know I love them! jk :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I totally understand when people don't want to share their face. I think your blog profile is super cute!!
      Sophia

      Delete
  3. Sweet! It's sometimes really annoying when you're blogging and then you find a blog that has no profile of any sort. I'm not allowed to show my face online, so I go and take photos of me that don't show my face, like a shadow.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a good idea to do a pic of your shadow or whatever if you don't want to show your face. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  4. This tutorial is very helpful...I'm going to use it. I don't really have a profile on mine, but that's going to change today!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I'm glad you like it. I can't wait to check out your profile. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  5. Love this post darling!
    Xo
    Valentina
    http://fashionneed09.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww... Thanks so much for reading!
      Sophia

      Delete
  6. Goodness, you have such a lovely blog!

    xx your new follower,
    Lorraine // Laurel Crowned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I love your blog!
      Sophia
      ps. I just started following your blog. ;)

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this tutorial! Your blog IS lovely :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and following!
      Sophia

      Delete
  8. Thanks, I needed something like this :)
    I'm going to be putting up a picture quite soon

    neenyslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'll be sure to check out your blog. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  9. This is great! I just did a picture with my pic and "Hello there" and at the bottom was a text box with some info. I love this post.

    ~Noor
    http://wonderkid22.blogspot.com
    a little bit of sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! I'll be sure to read your blog. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  10. Love your blog!!! :)

    -elly
    a-girl-named-elly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete