February 6, 2015

9 blog design tips

I love looking at other people's blogs. I like to go through the comments on blog posts and click on all the links that people give to their blogs.
And then I go through them one at a time, and take a quick glance, and either stay and comment and possibly even follow, or close it out.

It all depends on the design.

 I don't care what your blog's name is, I don't care what you write about, if you have a bad design, I'm leaving.
So I'm going to get all this ranting off my mind and give all you bloggers and designers some tips. And please remember that I'm totally not trying to be mean.And honestly, if you have a problem with my tips, let me know. It's a free country, people.
So here we go.

9 blog design tips


1. Simplify your background
This is one of the worst. There is no way I want to read a blog with a purple and red polka dot background. Honestly, my favorite blogs just have a white background. That's it. No more. No less.

2. Use uniform social media buttons.
Come on, man, just do a little more work and maybe people will actually visit your social media!!
9 blog design tips

3. Don't use cursive fonts.
Sure, cursive's pretty. So are flowers. And red hair. But seriously, just use a nice, normal, modern font. So much more professional. So much easier on the eyes.

4. Choose a neutral color scheme.
And by neutral, I mean minimal. Just choose one (MAYBE two) nice colors and have them be accent colors for font, borders, social media buttons. But DON'T have a completely blue blog. That's just weird. And DON'T choose like 20 different colors and have everything not match. So yucky.

5. Limit your "Sidebar Stuff".
Like seriously. Don't put blinky images in there. Don't put random quotes. And I don't really care how many page views you have or where you're viewers are from. Like, at all.
Your copyright, your search bar, and anything else that is necessary for your blog, but not necessary for everyone to see can go on the bottom of your blog in the footer.

6. No background music.
Sure, Ann Voscamp can get away with it, but really, I don't want to listen to your music. No matter how awesome the song is.

7. Have normal sized header/title.
You know those titles where you have to scroll down for 10 minutes until you reach the bottom? Don't do it. Just say your name, and it's all good.

8. This one is probably my biggest pet peve. CENTER YOUR TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know, I know, blogger makes it hard on you because you can't center your title. SO MAKE A TITLE IN PAINT. or photoshop. or whatever. Just center it. Please.

9. Learn from the "pros".
Obviously, they don't all follow the rules that I just mentioned, but they definitely have blogs that will rock your socks.
Here are a few of my all time favorite blog designs~
yammiesnoshery.com
freckled-fox.com
sparkleandmineblog.blogspot.com
heywandererblog.com
abeautifulmess.com

Okay. I'm done ranting now. Hopefully this'll help you!
Next time I'll be nicer, and give you some freebies or something. :)

Sophia

ps. I'm linked up here

44 comments :

  1. Sometimes there are designs that are way too flashy on the eyes, and that's what makes me say, "Bye." Primarily that is one of the reasons why I changed my old design into my current one; the previous one had a bright neon pink background. And there is a way to center headers. ^.^

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops. I use cursive, my social media icons are a little unorganised and the title isn't centred... but it's not flashy or overly crowded or complicated either. Do you think my blog design is deterring people? Anyway, thanks for the button swap xx

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey friend, the LAST thing I wanted was people to be thinking that I was trying to criticize them. :) Honestly, if what you have on your blog works for you, just keep doing it!!! I think your blog is lovely, next week I'm planning on giving some tips and freebies that I've used in my blog design.
      Sophia

      Delete
  3. I love this! I've been blogging on Blogger for 5 years now and have broken several of these "rules" here. My 5 daughters and I are currently working on starting a blog for profit on WordPress and have been reading everything we can on the subject. Thanks for sharing these great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! When you have your blog up and running, leave me the link and i'll check it out. :)
      Sophia
      someplaceinthemidst.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. Very helpful post right here :)

    Hannie at // CHAPTERS LIKE THIS //

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO glad you find it helpful!!
      Sophia

      Delete
  5. These are so true! I do have background music on my blog just because it honestly makes me really happy, but I know that's not the case for everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's how I feel about blog design. Obviously, there are a few general rules, but if it makes you happy, go with it!
      Sophia

      Delete
  6. Great advice. I especially agree with the music one. It really distracts me from reading the blog. Anyway I'm normally listening to my own music through my headphones while I read, so having your blog play it's own music is really annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad you like the post!! I totally agree with you- I usually am listening to my own music online.
      Sophia

      Delete
  7. This is so useful! Thanks for sharing x
    Savannah // www.zolablog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO glad you found this post ueful!!
      Sophia

      Delete
  8. Love this post and great tips! I honestly didn't think anyone else felt like this about blog design except me, honestly if I hate how the blog looks I can't really enjoy reading it! Sometimes I feel bad though 'cos it makes me neglect good content! x

    noirebeau.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I'm a bit crazy about blog designs. Your blog is lovely, by the way! :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  9. Oh I agree on most of your tips!! :) Thanks for sharing them~
    http://itsmeeejennyy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome tips! I agree with some many of these and so many of them bother me as well. I hate the music one!

    Denise
    www.fashionloveletters.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you think these tips are awesome. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  11. Oh, I so agree with you on (through - I don't follow every rule, but I'm workin on my photoshoop skills).
    Nice post design!
    xx
    N.Z.

    http://limitedweekend.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! your blog is lovely. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  12. Hi Sophia,

    I definitely agree with you on the background music and the cursive fonts.. I think they distract from the blog's actual content, and look very unprofessional.

    Also, thanks very much for registering at our blogging community! As you know, we run a free service and have no other way of advertising, so I would be very grateful if you took one of our link buttons (http://teenage-blogger-central.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_27.html). I'll add yours now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by earlier! And now that I have the context of your post, thank you for complimenting my blog!! I definitely agree with your points-they are great advice. Thanks for saying what many are thinking ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog!! I'm glad you agree with the tips. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  14. These are really great tips! I agree that a bad blog design can really turn me off from a blog. If you're willing to look at my own blog, I would honestly like to know what you think of my blog design. Any suggestions?
    -Ashley

    thriftytoppings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, your blog is lovely!! I really like the black and white color scheme~ the simplicity of it. :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  15. I used to be all for the cursive fonts, but nowadays I see just how annoying they are. I can't stand it when you can't read what everyone has to say. I know why it's tempting to do this, but it's better to be read then the have those oh so unreadable cursive fonts. Great tips:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Totally agree with you.
      Sophia

      Delete
  16. Hi Sophia, your blog design is really organised and neat. :) Thank you for sharing these tips, and I agree with all of them. I especially agree with those on using neutral colours, having a simplified background and limiting what's on the sidebar. Have a lovely day. :)

    Dian
    The Happy Candle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a lovely comment!!
      Sophia

      Delete
  17. I agree with all of these tips. I will definitely leave a blog with good content if their design is ugly. I don''t know if that sounds harsh, but sometimes peoples designs give me a headache :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I feel the same way. :)
      Thanks for visiting!
      Sophia

      Delete
  18. I agree with most of these, too, and I need to add one: font so tiny I can't see it with my 20/20 vision on my 17" screen. If it's too small, I'm gone.

    Thanks for linking up at the Thank Goodness It's Thursday party, Sophia! I hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes.. Tiny font= yuck. :)
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Sophia

      Delete
  19. Hello dear Sophie! Thank you so much for your delightful comment on my blog - what a joy to 'meet' you! I am always so excited to come across other young lady bloggers who love the Lord and your blog is just beautiful! And do you know, just before I recieved your sweet comment, I had clicked on your profile and visited your blog through Laura's - how funny!
    I love, love your name...my youngest sister is 'Sofia':)
    I will be stopping by again - hugs to you!
    Love, Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, thank you for your lovely comment!
      Thanks for stopping by,
      Sophia

      Delete
  20. i agree with pretty much all of these, if a blog doesn't have a nice design i usually won't stick around either!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, it's nice to know that people agree with me! :)
      Sophia

      Delete
  21. Great tips, All really good points!
    Thanks for contributing this post to The Sunday Brunch Magazine!
    All the best, Bel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!
      I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete